Welcome to my blog! To get an idea of what this blog is about you might want to read the "About Me and My Family" page as a starting point. You can browse through the archives or head over to the "Articles" page to read on specific topics I've written on over the years. Keep checking back because I'll be posting new articals from time to time.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

To Hunger and Thirst After Righteousness

I just read Sara's latest post, a very thought provoking message by Charles Spurgeon. Even though the devotion was about breaking forth into singing during hard times, my attention was drawn to another message. ". . .we must hunger and thirst after righteousness, and pant for the day of full redemption. Dear reader, this day open your heart wide, and God will fill it. Groan within yourself for higher degrees of consecration, and your Lord will grant them to you, for He is able to do exceeding abundantly above what we ask, or even think." I believe I would have to say I felt convicted. Do I really hunger and thirst after righteousness? Do I want to be filled by God more than anything else?

Spurgeon's words do not sound selfish in the very least. If I don't strongly desire to be closer and closer to God then I am selfish. Selfish because I want to do things my way, have the kind of fun I want to have, and because I don't want to take the time to stay at Jesus' feet and learn more of Him.


If only we could all truthfully pray the words that David prayed, "O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is." Psalms 63:1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the post was an encouragement to you. It blessed my heart immensely as well! I don't just want to know more of my Saviour I "need" to know more of Him!

nmetzler said...

If I don't strongly desire to be closer and closer to God then I am selfish.

I don't think I've ever thought of it this way, yet, how true it is! Thank you for the reminder.