Welcome to my blog! To get an idea of what this blog is about you might want to read the "About Me and My Family" page as a starting point. You can browse through the archives or head over to the "Articles" page to read on specific topics I've written on over the years. Keep checking back because I'll be posting new articals from time to time.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Doing for Others . . . and Yourself

Lately I have been going through a very hard time. I was very discouraged with myself and felt like I couldn't get out of the hole I had gotten myself into. After going through this for several weeks I finally told mama some of what I was going through. After we talked a while she asked me, "So what are you going to do?" I said, "What do you mean?" Like I have heard before, she said I would feel better if I did something kind for someone else.


Fifteen minutes later I was in the kitchen baking a Bluberry Buckle Cake for an elderly couple I really like but don't see very often anymore. Bethany went over there with me to visit and what I thought would be a short visit turned into an hour of good country fellowship around the table. We talked about everything from gardening to the little town we use to live in. After they gave us a hug goodbye and told us to come again I was so refreshed! We enjoyed our visit so much and can't wait to do it again for someone else. (Truth be told, I think I got a bigger blessing then they did!) It was nice to think about someone other than myself and do something homey.


This weekend I did something for myself. After being in the office all week (where I have NO WINDOWS to look out) I'm usually ready to spend some time out side in the fresh air and warm sunshine. So after we got home from a short shopping trip (where I bought a $60 purse for $24!) Bethany, Amy, and I went for a bike ride at a local state park. The whole ride lasted an hour so we were a little tired when we were done! Cold water never did taste so good!

Picture:: This is a snapshot I took at our friends house last year on another one of those wonderful visits!

No comments: