Welcome to my blog! To get an idea of what this blog is about you might want to read the "About Me and My Family" page as a starting point. You can browse through the archives or head over to the "Articles" page to read on specific topics I've written on over the years. Keep checking back because I'll be posting new articals from time to time.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Wisdom and Honor

Recently God has shown me the difference between seeking wisdom, and crying after wisdom. It is the difference between knowing you need water and thirsting after water. I have never been one to drink a lot of water or anything. As a child mama would have to tell me to drink some water because I might go several hours without getting thirsty. Even as an adult I will often drink my coffee in the morning and neglect my need for water simply because I am not thirsty and I get so busy that I don't think to get something to drink. But those times that I am thirsty I don't hesitate to satisfy my desire and I usually drink 2 or 3 glasses as apposed to the 1 out of necessity. Jesus said, "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." (Matthew 5:6)

For several months I have been seeking wisdom on how to honor the authorities over me, weather it be my parents, boss, or teachers. I have searched the scriptures diligently and tried to put my own reason to it, but I couldn't grasp the true meaning. Finally I cried out for wisdom, and patiently waited for God's answer . . . not mine. I didn't have to wait long. In that moment when I wasn't searching or expecting an answer, God reveled His truth to me in a way that I can only give the glory to God, for which I am very thankful for.

I can honor the authorities over me by acknowledging and respecting the fact that God is using that person to shape me, and if I respond in a righteous manner to that authority over me, I will be a better Christian as a result of it. Sometimes God uses ugly things in life to bring about beautiful results. Just look at the refining of silver. Would it be right for the silver to say to the fire, "Stop burning me! That hurts!" or to the silversmith, "Take me out! I've been in here long enough!" If it weren't for the fire the silver would never be beautiful. We are to see every person in our life (good and bad) just as David saw Abishai the son of Zeruiah who cursed the king. David declared, "It may be that the LORD will look on mine affliction, and that the LORD will requite me good for his cursing this day." David would not kill Abishai because he acknowledged that God may have sent him to afflict this curse upon him. (2 Samuel 16)

I may not understand this fully, but I can lift up my voice for understanding, and patiently wait.

"But if from thence thou shalt seek, the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him
with all thy heart and with all thy soul." Deuteronomy 4:29

1 comment:

Rhonda White said...

Jennifer,

One of my favorite verses is James 1:5, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

First, it's obvious from this verse, we need to "ask" for wisdom. Secondly, God has so much, He's willing to dish it out "liberally". Isn't God so generous?

Loved your post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.