Welcome to my blog! To get an idea of what this blog is about you might want to read the "About Me and My Family" page as a starting point. You can browse through the archives or head over to the "Articles" page to read on specific topics I've written on over the years. Keep checking back because I'll be posting new articals from time to time.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Colossians 3: 23

It's one of the scripture's in my Bible that I highlighted years ago. It's the scripture that I've quoted many times. It's the scripture that is sent with every e-mail at work. It's the scripture that I can't get out of my head!


Today I wasn't having one of the best days. It was just one of those days when I didn't feel like giving my all. I wanted to do a half-hearted job like everyone else and call it a day so that I could go home and do something easy. Then I heard it, "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;" So I sat back down at my desk, pulled my project back out, and worked on it some more. I can do this.

Hours later I was working on yet another project which I wasn't enjoying so much. "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;" . . . Lord, did you really have to put that scripture in the Bible?


Now I'm at home dusting my room like I do every week. I know that this is the last thing on my chore list so the sooner I get done the sooner I can do what I want to do. "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;" So I wiped down each tea pot and dusted underneath every piece of paper on my desk and put away my candles that were misplaced . . . and it felt good.

We are serving the Lord
When I began to meditate on this scripture I realized that it has several purposes. The first one is listed in the next verse, "Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ." When I am at work entering codes into the computer or when I am at home dusting my room I am serving God. By doing my best I am obeying God's Word and pleasing Him who bought me with his blood. Our heavenly reward (the one that really counts) will be great if we do everything as unto the Lord.

We can shine our light
A great benefit that comes from obeying this scripture is one that everyone can recognize. Others see that we are dedicated and a hard worker and they wonder at it. In a world where everyone is looking for the easy way out, an easy solution, and are satisfied with a half-hearted job, we Christian's can shine forth like bright lights for Christ. God will open up doors because of our faithfulness, for we all know that everyone prefers a hard worker in time of need whether it be in a church program, helping someone organize their home, decorating the church, or cleaning our neighbor's yard. At first they only see our good works but God may allow us to show them the One behind them all, the one who is driving us to give our best in all that we do. We have the opportunity to build a good reputation and turn it around to glorify God.

Earthly Rewards
The benefit of this command doesn’t stop with God's reward or the opportunities it creates to serve God; it also makes our life on earth more enjoyable. In my own life, when I know that I've worked hard all day I can take pride in my work and feel good about the way my time was spent. When I know that I did everything to the best of my ability I don’t have any regrets. I can rest in the knowledge that I pleased God and it gives me the courage to keep doing my best, knowing that the more diligent I become the easier it will be to do the right thing.

I still may not feel like giving my all at everything I do, but the more I meditate on it the more I believe that working as unto the Lord will open up opportunities to serve . . . and that's worth everything!


No comments: