Welcome to my blog! To get an idea of what this blog is about you might want to read the "About Me and My Family" page as a starting point. You can browse through the archives or head over to the "Articles" page to read on specific topics I've written on over the years. Keep checking back because I'll be posting new articals from time to time.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Me? A Writer?


Last week I had a rather interesting conversation with a friend. A conversation that brought new thoughts to mind and questions that needed to be answered. Here's a tid bit of our talk:

Friend: So what do you guys do around here when you're not playing games.

Me: Well I work everyday and lately I've been studying to get my coding certification. Other than that I like to take walks, play the piano, and write."

Friend: You write?

Me: Yeah, I use to have a Christian magazine for teens. Now I have a blog that I write articles for.

Friend: So you're a writer?

Me: I guess, though not a very good one.

Just for the record, that was the first time anyone had called me a writer. The fact that I've been writing since I was 12 years old didn't seen sufficient enough for me to own such a title of that carried by people like L. M. Montgomery or Elizabeth George.

Oddly enough, it was kind of scary being called that. Being a writer requires a great deal of responsibility and diligence that I'm not sure I want to dedicate to the art of literature. Being a writer means that you not only know how to write words on a piece of paper, but that you are also good with words, and big words too! (I can barely spell the small ones!) Writers have to know how to weave words together to make a simple thing sound beautiful. In my opinion, a writer is someone who has talent in the area of putting words to paper.

Those things don't seem to describe me as well as I wish. I generally write my thoughts down quite frankly without all the frill. Like my hand writing, it can probably be more accurately called "scirbbling".

But then again, I suppose the real definition of a writer (no matter how boring it may sound) is simply: a person who writes. And in the light of that definition I suppose I am a writer. . . but I'd much rather be called a scribbler! :)

But putting all nonsense aside I will admit, this conversation also got me thinking about why I write. I've always used my writing ability to express my thoughts regarding the Christian life, but it goes farther than that. Am I writing to be a good Christian writer remembered by many? Am I writing to become famous in the Christian realm? Am I writing simply for the pleasure of it? Or am I writing for the glory of God?
The answer I should give is obvious - "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." I Corinthians 10:31 - but saying that truthfully is another matter. It is easy to get my focus off track and forget the root of it all. Thankfully, God sends along little things like this conversation right when I need them to remind me to evaluate not just what I am doing but why I'm doing it.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Great post Jennifer!! Wow, you've got me thinking now...

Barbara said...

That is great dear, and I encourage you to keep up the writing, it is a wonderful way to express your self, and to show others how fun it can be too, love your blog, lots of hugs Mrs Barbara

A Joyful Heart said...

I enjoy your writings, Jennifer. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to some extent; you see I'm often told that I should write more often but I don't really consider myself to be a "writer".

Anyway, in response to your definition of a writer, may I offer that a good writer doesn't necessarily have to know "big words" or be able to weave words together in any special order. A good writer is simply an individual who is able to communicate their thoughts in an effective way :-) So, sister, be encouraged - because I've read many of your blog post and you have a knack for being able to document your thoughts in a very readable and understandable manner! Keep it up!

Stephanie Macomber said...

I think you are a great writer and writing with big words has its place as well as writing in smaller words. I love reading what you write because you have some very interesting things to say. Keep writing!